Business

U.S. State Department orders all non-emergency government staff in Shanghai to leave as Covid surges

Chinese and U.S. flags flutter near The Bund, before U.S. trade delegation meet their Chinese counterparts for talks in Shanghai, China July 30, 2019.
Aly Song | Reuters

The U.S. State Department has ordered all non-emergency government staff and their family members in Shanghai to leave as Covid surges and told U.S. citizens to reconsider travel to China, according to an announcement dated April 11.

“Reconsider travel to the People’s Republic of China (PRC) due to arbitrary enforcement of local laws and COVID-19-related restrictions,” the State Department said.

“Do not travel to the PRC’s Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR), Jilin province, and Shanghai municipality due to COVID-19-related restrictions, including the risk of parents and children being separated,” the statement said. “Reconsider travel to the PRC’s Hong Kong SAR due to arbitrary enforcement of local laws.”

This is breaking news. Please check back for updates.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Annuity sales hit record last year, eclipsing sales during 2008 financial crisis amid fear, higher rates
Top Wall Street analysts find these stocks compelling
Alphabet misses on earnings and revenue as YouTube falls short
Robots could surpass workers at Amazon by 2030, Cathie Wood says
Judge could take months to decide case of Castro-era Cuban debt